Most men skip the grooming routine because they think that it’s not too important, or simply just a waste of money. But the truth is, every woman likes a man that is neatly-shaved, a hair that is perfectly cut or styled, a scent to die for, and a skin… too hard to resist. And let’s be honest here, you will definitely feel proud of yourself, once you get that attention from somebody.
So here’s what’s up, you have to indulge yourself with the benefits of grooming in order to maintain a healthier skin. Grooming is made for everybody, and that includes men too. And if you’re wondering what grooming tips you should have, this article will show you 5 grooming tips for men’s healthier skin.
5 grooming tips for healthier skin (for men)
This is a simple thing to do, but often done wrong by many. Washing face must be done twice a day, one in the morning, and one in the evening.
You will notice that when you wake up in the morning, your pores are large and your face is oily. So this is the reason why you should wash your face in the morning. Especially if you do skincare at night, washing your face will get rid of all the product buildup.
Cleaning your face at night is as important as cleaning your face at day. During the day, you will encounter pollution, free radicals, dirt, oil and sweat. Not washing your face will only allow these culprits to seep into your skin, which will eventually cause dead skin cells, dry skin and breakouts.
To cleanse properly: use a facial cleanser and not just water. There are facial cleansers that come in bar soaps. There’s nothing wrong with using one, just make sure that you’re using a separate bar soap for your body and for your face. Using bar soaps that are not specifically formulated for the face will only dry out your skin.
You may be thinking of skincares for this part, but I’m actually talking about hydrating yourself with water. Water is the cheapest and most convenient natural source of hydration. Not to mention, it brings out plenty of health benefits.
Drinking lots of water improves skin’s elasticity, flushes out toxins, and helps maintain the skin’s PH balance.
Additionally, if you want your skin to be fully hydrated, you may want to limit your alcohol and caffeine intake because these drinks will definitely dry out and dehydrate your skin.
Heads up, this section is the longest part of the article because skin care contains different procedures and routines, aside from cleansing.
- Moisturize: the key to a healthy skin is a good moisturizer. Moisturizer serves as the protective barrier of the skin, which also helps delay the signs of ageing. Also, make it a habit to moisturize after shaving. Doing so will prevent irritation and help soothe razor burns.
- Your face is not the only area that needs care, but your whole body too. For this, you will need body lotion, plus hand and foot cream
- Toner: toner minimises the appearance of pores, retains moisture and hydrates your skin.
- Sunscreen: never underestimate the power of sunscreen. This product will definitely protect you from the harmful UV rays of the sun that can lead to skin cancer, irritation, uneven skin tone, and burnt skin. Choose a product that is at least SPF15, and always apply one when going outside.
- Serum: serums work best to eliminate wrinkles, and are formulated to allow skincare ingredients to penetrate strongly into your face’s deepest skin layers. It is also lighter than moisturizers. Choose a serum with Vitamin C for better results.
- Exfoliate: just like other routines that are left behind, many don’t understand the benefits of exfoliating too. To give you a brief explanation of what it can do to your skin, exfoliating scrapes off dead skin cells that a regular cleansing cannot do. It also eliminates stubborn oils. But keep in mind to avoid over exfoliating because it may only lead to breakouts, redness and drier skin. Exfoliate only twice or thrice a week.
Your lips need exfoliating too because it also has dry, flaky skin just like other areas of your body. Having chapped lips means your lips are dry, a good exfoliating lip scrub could actually do the trick. Then apply some balm or lip moisturizer after. You can do this once or twice a week.
4. Complete grooming routine
To better complete your good look and healthy skin, an overall grooming must be done accordingly. A complete grooming routine must consist of beard, mustache, eyebrow, hair and nail care. Let me break these down for you:
- Beard and mustache care – it doesn’t matter if you want a long beard or a short one, you should trim it, wash it regularly, or even apply beard oils to keep it clean and well-maintained.
- Regular barber trips – just like the mustache and beard care, long or short hair needs proper maintenance too. For long hair, a monthly trimming is needed to remove split ends. Hair products are considered essentials too. Shampoos are good because it cleans off sweat, dirt and hair products, like wax or gel. But shampooing everyday will only scrape off your hair’s natural oils, which is not good. So in between days you’re not shampooing, alternately use conditioner. Men need conditioners too just like women. It works by making your hair softer and more manageable.
- Eyebrow – although this is optional, men who groom their eyebrows achieve a younger-looking appearance. Thick eyebrows are irresistible, but bushy eyebrows look untidy. So it is not weird to groom your eyebrows, you’ll just have to find the right shape for your brows and never over pluck or overdo them.
- Nail care – nobody wants dirty and long nails. Not only it looks unpleasant, but it will also harbor bacteria and germs, which will be very harmful for your health.
5. Proper hygiene
All of the said tips won’t matter if you don’t observe proper hygiene. In order to maintain healthy skin, you should bathe daily. Never skip bath time even if the weather is cold. You can use hot water if you like, because it can actually relax your muscles and joints. Bathing will cleanse and moisturize your skin, kill bacteria and germs that clings to your skin, improves your immunity and keeps you away from body odor. Don’t forget to wear your deo after!
Always brush your teeth every after meals and when you wake up in the morning. This will prevent you from dental problems, while keeping your breath fresh. Remember, fresh breath adds confidence.
For your final touch, find your best scent. A perfume that will serve as your signature scent, which will drive women crazy and men intimidated.
- When looking for skincare, it’s highly important to know your skin type. Skincare products range from sensitive, dry and oily formulations. So it’s important to know which product is most suitable for your skin type.
- Be consistent with your grooming skin. Skipping days and nights won’t give you the results you’re expecting. Whatever you do, always be consistent in order to achieve great results.