Our 4 Favourite Breakfast Recipes with Matcha
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but not many people get to have a full meal or get to eat at all. When there’s little time in the morning, it’s easy to grab a piece of bread or skip it entirely. That’s not enough to start your day right. Eating a healthy and full breakfast helps you feel energized at the start of your day. To encourage you to eat a proper breakfast, we gathered four healthy and delicious breakfast recipes with matcha. Matcha will add a unique flavor and more health benefits to your breakfast.
Check our Article about porridge and why you should add it to your morning routine as well!
Why use matcha?
Matcha is a superfood that contains antioxidants, boosts brain function, and promotes heart health, among many other matcha benefits.
Add these simple, delicious, and healthy matcha recipes to your breakfasts.
Cookies are perfect as a breakfast and a snack. Bake a lot in the morning and eat it throughout your day.
The recipe below yields 24 cookies.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon matcha powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 ½ cups white chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) and prepare your greased baking sheets.
- Sift your flour, matcha, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl.
- Combine brown sugar, white sugar, and butter in a large bowl with a mixer until blended. Add vanilla extract, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy.
- Combine the flour mixture into the creamed butter mix until the dough is blended. Fold in your chocolate chips.
- Put a tablespoon per cookie dough onto the baking sheet set 2 to 3 inches apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes or until edges turn light brown. Cool cookies on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool them completely.
Pancakes are great to make any day, and adding matcha to its flavour makes it more special.
The recipe below yields 16 pancakes.
- 1 ½ teaspoon matcha
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¾ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- ⅓ cup caster sugar
- Oil for frying
*Add your choice of toppings or syrups.
- Make the pancake mix by whisking the eggs with milk and vanilla essence.
- Sift the flour and matcha in a separate large bowl. Add the sugar.
- Make a well in the center, and pour your pancake mix. Whisk until just combined.
- Prepare a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Grease it with butter or oil.
- Pour ¼ cup of batter for each pancake into the pan. You can cook 2 pancakes simultaneously.
- Cook pancakes for 2 minutes on one side, or until the surface bubbles. Flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes to cook through.
- Transfer each pancake to a plate. Cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
- Repeat the cooking process, greasing the pan with butter or oil between batches.
- Add your choice of toppings and syrup on top of your pancake stack.
Breakfast smoothies are a quick, easy, and healthy option for busy people in the morning.
The recipe below yields 1 serving.
- 1 cup milk (your choice of milk)
- 1/2 cup ice
- 2 teaspoons matcha green tea powder
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean
*Add other ingredients into the mix such as banana, nuts, protein powder etc.
- Add all ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth.
Matcha chia pudding
Quickly make this the night before, and you have a tasty and healthy breakfast in the morning.
The recipe below yields 2 servings.
- 1 ½ cup milk of your choice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon matcha
- ½ cup chia seeds
- 1 pinch of salt
*Add your choice of toppings.
- Stir the chia seeds with your milk in a bowl.
- Add the maple syrup or honey.
- In another bowl, dissolve the matcha powder with a little hot water. Add to the chia seed milk mix.
- Add the vanilla extract, and mix well.
- Place the bowl in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, take it out from the fridge, and add your preferred toppings.
Enjoy these breakfasts with a good cup of tea or coffee! Moreover, make hot matcha tea or iced matcha latte recipe to switch up your matcha breakfast experience. Lastly, buy matcha powder from a high-quality source, so you can fully taste its flavour and gain its health benefits.