Our Favourite Recipe to Improve Your Home Cooked Spaghetti al Pomodoro
Spaghetti al Pomodoro is an easy classic Italian Pasta Dish that is made with simple ingredients from our kitchen. Pomodoro means tomato in Italian. This dish is basically pasta with tomato sauce. It is commonly prepared with bucatini pasta, olive oil, tomatoes, and basil sprigs. This quick and simple meal is an all-time favorite for weeknight gatherings. As everyone always said, the best foods to eat are the ones that are simple to make.
So, how do we make a delicious, easy-to-cook and budget-friendly Spaghetti al Pomodoro? The answer is simple! You just have to follow this recipe!
- 1/4 cup olive oil (preferably extra-virgin)
- 1 medium-sized onion (minced)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 28 ounce can peeled tomatoes, puréed in a food processor or blender
- Kosher salt or sea salt
- 3 large fresh basil sprigs
- 12 ounces bucatini or spaghetti
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
HOW TO COOK
- For the sauce, first, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add and cook the onion and occasionally stir it until it become soft, for about 10 to 12 minutes. Then, add the garlic and stir it for 2 to 4 minutes. Add the crushed red pepper flakes. Cook it for a minute more. Increase the heat into medium heat, add the puréed tomatoes and season it with the salt, according to your taste. Let it cook for another 20 minutes, and occasionally stir it, until the sauce thickens slightly and the flavors blend together. Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the basil sprigs, and set it aside.
- After preparing the spaghetti sauce, cook the bucatini pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, and stir it occasionally, until al dente, about 2 minutes before it would be tender. Then, drain the pasta and reserve about half cup of the pasta cooking water.
- Remove the basil sprigs in the spaghetti sauce and heat the skillet over high heat. Stir in the pasta water from earlier to loosen the sauce. Do this until it boils. Add the pasta, and stir it until the sauce evenly coats all the pasta. Do this for about 2 minutes until the pasta has a tender consistency. Remove the skillet from heat. Then add the cheese, according to your preference and let it melt. Transfer and divide the pasta into bowls to be shared by everyone.
There you go! That’s how you make a classic Spaghetti al Pomodoro. To maximize your experience, let me share some additional information and a few tips on how create the best version of this pasta.
First, always use quality ingredients. there aren’t many ingredients involved in this recipe so might as well choose the best quality. And secondly, you can use other kinds of pasta, such as angel hair or fettuccini.